ECOWAS Deploys Standby Force to Benin Following Attempted Coup

3 Min Read

 

The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has ordered the immediate deployment of elements of its Standby Force to the Republic of Benin, in a decisive move aimed at safeguarding the country’s constitutional order following Saturday’s attempted coup.

In a new statement released Sunday evening, the ECOWAS Commission said the decision follows earlier reports of an unconstitutional seizure of power by a group of soldiers who briefly appeared on Benin’s national television claiming to have taken control. Gunfire was reported around key state installations in Cotonou, prompting widespread concern across the region.

According to ECOWAS, the latest action is pursuant to Article 25(e) of the 1999 Protocol on Conflict Prevention, Management, Resolution, Peacekeeping and Security—an instrument that empowers the regional bloc to intervene in situations that threaten stability or democratic governance within a member state.

The Commission further disclosed that the deployment order was issued after consultations among members of the Mediation and Security Council at the level of Heads of State and Government, underscoring the gravity with which regional leaders view the situation.

ECOWAS confirmed that the Chair of the Authority of Heads of State and Government has now formally directed the deployment “with immediate effect.”

Troops From Four Member States Mobilised

The intervention force will draw personnel from four West African countries:

  • Nigeria
  • Sierra Leone
  • Côte d’Ivoire
  • Ghana

These contingents make up the rapid-response component of the ECOWAS Standby Force, which has previously been activated in crisis situations to stabilise member states under threat.

According to the statement, the deployed troops will operate in support of the Government and the Republican Army of Benin. Their mandate is to help maintain constitutional order, protect key institutions, and bolster the country’s territorial integrity as investigations continue into the attempted takeover.

Backdrop: Region on Alert After Failed Coup

Tension escalated early Saturday when mutinous soldiers stormed Benin’s national broadcaster, announcing the suspension of state institutions and closure of borders. The government quickly denounced the announcement as an attempted coup and said loyal forces had regained control of strategic sites.

The incident sent shockwaves through West Africa, a region that has struggled with recurrent coups and military interventions in recent years—from Mali and Burkina Faso to Niger and Guinea. ECOWAS has faced mounting pressure to defend democratic norms and deter further instability.

What Happens Next

The deployment marks one of ECOWAS’s most rapid responses in recent years, signalling the bloc’s determination to prevent another breakdown of constitutional rule in the region. Details of troop movements and operational timelines are expected to be released by defence authorities from contributing countries.

For now, ECOWAS says its priority is clear: to stand with the people and legitimate authorities of Benin and secure the democratic order threatened by Saturday’s events.

Share This Article